Artichokes are a staple spring ingredient and everyone loves to stuff them, but for a quicker, easier weeknight meal we decided to unstuff our chokes. Artichokes are high in fiber and antioxidants. In fact, a 2006 study of antioxidant levels in various foods ranked artichokes highest of all vegetables studied.
Enjoy this for breakfast or take a double serving and eat for dinner.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts and/or bottoms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne or chili pepper or more to taste
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for serving
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- Torn fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- 3 small whole-wheat pitas toasted, halved
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add artichokes, garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Pour in tomatoes, stir to combine and cook until just beginning to bubble. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Using the back of a spoon make a well in the sauce and gently crack an egg into the well. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Season eggs with remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook for about 2 minutes for runny yolks or longer to the desired doneness.
- Serve with warm pita.