Beef Pie with Potato Latke Crust
For this special stew we top it with a shredded potato crust just like a latke, it's the perfect one pot meal for Hanukkah but also all winter long. Feel free to sub shredded sweet potato if you prefer.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms quartered
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 pound potatoes grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon evoo in a deep heavy pan over a high heat. Add beef and cook for 10 mins until browned all over, then remove from pan. Cook onions and mushrooms for 7 mins until softened. Stir in tomato paste, paprika, salt, pepper and flour and cook for 1 min more. Pour in wine and 1 cup water, bring to a simmer. Add beef back to pan. Cook, uncovered, over a gentle heat for around 2 hrs until meat is really tender, topping up with water if needed.
- Heat oven to 400℉. Mix grated potatoes with remaining 1 tablespoon evoo, salt and pepper. Sprinkle over beef stew. Place in oven until potatoes are browned and crisp about 20 minutes.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 1104mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 923IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 7mg