Start by making a big batch of cajun spice by mixing 1 tablespoon each paprika, onion powder, and oregano, with a teaspoon each cayenne, salt and pepper (less cayenne if you don’t like heat).
We make the rice like a fried rice, so you can prep everything ahead and then just cook everything fresh together in minutes.
We loaded with rice with veggies even greens, but you can include whatever veggies you like or leave out the ones you don’t like.
This recipe is available free to everyone brought to you by Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a taste of our Fresh Families Meal plan.
Quick and Easy Blackened Fish
- 4 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 4 (6-ounce) tilapia or other white fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil such as Colavita
- On a flat plate, pour out the seasoning.
- Press fish fillets into the spice rub to evenly coat on both sides.
- Heat evoo in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook until blackened and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve with veggie rice.
Cajun Veggie Rice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil such as Colavita, divided
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 peppers chopped (any color)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups cooked long grain brown or red rice refrigerated
- 1 (15-ounce) can black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 2 cups collards or other greens chopped, optional
- Place a large sauté pan over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon evoo and saute onion, celery, and peppers. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Add garlic, cajun seasoning, and tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently, until fragrant and toasted.
- Add 1 tablespoon evoo, rice and beans, stirring until everything is mixed and hot.
- Add remaining tablespoon evoo and collards if using and saute until everything is combined. Serve hot.