On Shabbat we do loosen the rules a little bit, but we still want to stick to whole grains and natural sugars. That’s why we developed the best healthy challah you will ever taste.
Made with 100% whole wheat or whole spelt flour and all-natural date honey. Topped with zaatar is our favorite, but we also love everything seasoning.
Fresh Families Whole Grain Challah
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- 2 ½ teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- ½ cup evoo
- ½ cup of honey or date honey
- 4-5 cups whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- Egg wash:
- 1 whole egg whisked
- 2 teaspoons water
- Toppings: poppy seeds sesame seeds, oats, pumpkin seeds,
- Mix the ingredients together and cover for at least 30-40 minutes and as long as 2 hours to create a sponge.
- Whisk whole eggs and egg yolks with salt, honey and oil, add to sponge and mix.
- Slowly mix in the flour. You may not need all the flour depending upon the humidity and water content of the flour.
- When the dough starts to pull together stop adding flour. The dough should be tacky but not stick to your fingers (flour needs to rehydrate and that doesn’t happen all at once, so keep dough a bit “damp”.) Knead for a few minutes and then place in the bowl to rise.
- Allow the dough to rise at least 1 hour at room temperature, until doubled in volume or cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight. If refrigerate dough, allow it to come to room temp and rise before braiding.
- Braid or pan the dough, cover with a clean towel and allow it to rise 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Egg wash and allow the wash to dry for 10 minutes and then brush the challah again. If you are using any toppings, sprinkle toppings on challah and bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan and continue baking for another 12-15 minutes or until medium brown.