On most nights we recommend a small piece of dark chocolate to get your fix, but on your “cheat day” you can splurge a little with this lower calorie one bowl chocolate cake.
Healthier Chocolate Cake
- 3 ounces 70% dark chocolate chips or chocolate bar chopped
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 2 to 3 teaspoons powdered sugar optional
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chocolate, cocoa, and sugar.
- Add boiling water and whisk until chocolate is completely melted.
- Whisk in eggs, egg whites, and bourbon. Whisk in flour and almond meal until just incorporated.
- Scrape batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool and store at room temperature until ready to serve,