We really made this in one skillet by using frozen cauliflower florets for the topping, they brown faster and have a soft texture, but if you want to fancy it up go ahead and mash the cauliflower before topping the pie.
This leaner version of shepherd’s pie subs traditional beef with ground chicken. The cauliflower topping is lower in calories than potatoes and also has added fiber and antioxidants which will help protect against several chronic diseases.
This recipe is available free to everyone brought to you by Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a taste of our Fresh Families Meal plan.
Healthy Skillet Shepherd's Pie
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided, such as Colavita
- 1 large Spanish onion diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh sage minced
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot potato starch or cornstarch
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup frozen peas optional
- 4 cups frozen cauliflower florets 2 pounds
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Heat a large oven proof saute pan, cast iron would be ideal, lightly coated with 2 tablespoons evoo, over medium heat. Saute onion, carrot and celery, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir, add ground chicken and cook, stirring for about 4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and sage. Stir well.
- Sprinkle starch over meat and stir to coat. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and stir in peas if using. Remove pan from heat.
- Scatter cauliflower florets over top of dish, drizzle remaining tablespoon evoo, sprinkle thyme, salt and pepper and place in oven until cauliflower is golden and filling is hot about 45 minutes.