This lunch recipe concept comes from one of our Fresh Families flagship members, they are such a supportive group.
Bulgur is a cracked wheat and is a whole grain which means it’s high in fiber and vitamins, it also cooks in about five minutes with boiling water or can be made by soaking in room temp water.
For this recipe you can make your lunch ahead and the bulgur will “cook” in the dressing. Absorbing all the flavor until ready to eat.
We suggest packing it in mason jars the night before, then pour onto a plate when serving so the dressing at the bottom covers the veggies.
This recipe is available free to everyone brought to you by Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a taste of our Fresh Families Meal plan.
Jazzed Up Tabbouleh
Yield 4 jars
1 cup bulgur, raw
1 cup lemon juice
4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic minced
½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, about 1 ½ cups
¼ cup raisins or dried cranberries
¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 cups fresh chopped parsley, mint and/or cilantro
1 medium cucumber, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 tablespoon za’atar, optional
- Place ¼ cup bulgur each into 4 jars or lunch containers. Top each with ¼ cup lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 clove garlic, salt and pepper.
- Divide chickpeas, cranberries, olives, herbs, cucumbers and tomatoes, layering each jar.
- Sprinkle with za’atar if desired.
- Store in fridge until ready to eat. Serve poured onto a plate.
Photo courtesy of Esther Dayon
Serving Size 1 jar
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 400 mg
Total Carbohydrates 63 g
Dietary Fiber 14 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 12 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.