Since taco night is one of our most popular recipes, today we bring you fajita night. The main differences are instead of ground chicken we use strips and instead of small corn tortillas we use large whole wheat. If you’re trying to cut back on carbs go with lettuce wraps instead.
The make your own part is the same and everyone loves it.
Make Your Own Fajitas
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 red onion sliced into rings
- 1 red pepper sliced into julienne
- 2 portobello mushrooms stem and gills removed, sliced
- 4 large whole wheat tortillas
- Garnish sliced limes, large lettuce leaves
- 1 cup all-natural salsa
- 1 mashed avocado
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans , drained and rinsed with 2 teaspoons cumin, 2 teaspoons lime juice and a dash of extra virgin olive oil
- Plenty of fresh lime wedges
- In a large bag, combine chicken with lime juice and zest, 1 tablespoon evoo, chili powder, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large saute pan over medium high, heat remaining 1 tablespoon evoo, add onions, peppers, and portobellos and cook until softened and browned. Set aside on a plate.
- Add chicken and cook, flipping as needed until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Remove, cool, and slice.
- Put vegetables and chicken back into pan until warm, serve immediately with tortillas and suggested condiments and allow everyone to make their own.