You will love this one pot vegetarian hearty dinner that is like a chili baked cornbread.
Bring water to a boil while preparing the chili ingredients.
If your kids don’t like chunks of peppers go ahead and puree them with the tomatoes before adding to mixture.
I added some sliced kale as an optional add in because I love to get extra greens wherever I can and it works here, but it is not essential to the recipe and if it will stop your kids from eating the dish please leave it out.
One Pot Baked Tamale Pie
- 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans and/or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion
- 1/2 (15-ounce) jar roasted red peppers finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups kale sliced thinly (optional)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork, add diced tomatoes, peppers, spices, and cilantro. Taste mixture to adjust for seasoning.
- In a deep oven safe pot, prepare polenta. Heat water until boiling, bring heat to low and slowly whisk in cornmeal and continue whisking until it begins to thicken, add 1 teaspoon salt and adjust flavor to taste. Remove from heat.
- Pour chili mixture over polenta. Top with cheese and baked for 20 minutes, until heated through. Remove from oven, let cool and serve from pan.