This recipe is based on a classic olive and broccoli spaghetti, but made in one pot. We added mushrooms for a little extra flavor and texture, plus some vitamin D to go along with the calcium in the broccoli. The flavor is mild, which can be helpful with picky eaters.
This pasta is really perfect with some grated parm, but if you prefer to make it a side dish with grilled chicken, you can keep it parve.
One Pot Broccoli and Olive Oil Spaghetti
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ounces button or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti broken in half
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced4 scallions, sliced
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 ½ cups water
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- Garnish: parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, chopped scallions, halved cherry tomatoes
- Heat a large, deep, heavy saute pan over high heat. Add evoo to pan and saute mushrooms until browned. Layer spaghetti, garlic, scallions, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper. Pour water over everything, cover pot and cook at medium high heat, tossing ingredients occasionally for 10 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and pasta is almost ready.
- Remove lid, add broccoli and toss well. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 2 minutes to blanch broccoli and finish cooking the pasta.
- Toss well and serve with garnish of choice.