Spaghetti and meatballs is classic comfort food, but not always doable on a weeknight. We made this version where everything cooks in one pot and we even hid some spinach in there for some added nutrition value.
Notes: The meatballs may break apart when mixing the pasta, especially if the pan is smaller. If you want to ensure they stay intact, remove them after browning and add back in for the last 5 minutes of cooking to the top
This recipe makes 6 portions, but leftovers are perfect for lunches.
One Pot Spaghetti with Super Meatballs
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken or turkey breast
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic minced, divided
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained (about ½ cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper divided
- 1 large egg beaten
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh basil divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- Garnish: red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, finely chopped onion, 1 clove minced garlic, spinach, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, egg, oat flour and half of basil.
- Mix meat mixture together with your hands and then form 18 meatballs.
- In a large Dutch oven or pot with a lid heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the the meatballs and cook for 5-6 minutes turning as needed until they are browned all over.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, rest of the basil, salt, pepper and last 2 cloves of garlic stir well. Add 2 cups hot water and bring mixture to a boil.
- Add pasta, breaking up if it fits better. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring once or twice until pasta is cooked.
- Season to taste.