Essentially a white calzone, the ricotta makes these pizza pockets high in protein and the dill is high in calcium, manganese and iron. This makes it a well-rounded dinner alongside salad.
The perfect make-ahead meal — they freeze and rewarm beautifully.
Romanian Pizza Pockets
- 1 pound prepared whole wheat pizza dough ½ pizza dough recipe
- Whole wheat flour for dusting
- ¼ cup caramelized onions about 1 onion
- 1½ cups ricotta
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- Preheat oven to 450℉. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each out into a circle on a floured surface.
- In a large bowl combine onions, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, dill, salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice.
- Divide ricotta mixture evenly between dough circles, keeping the to one side.
- Fold dough over filing and use your fingers to pinch and crimp the edges together.
- Place dough pockets on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes on the bottom rack until dough is puffed and golden.
No Knead Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 3 ¼ cups whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a large bowl mix flour, yeast, salt, water, oil and honey until dough forms.
- Cover and let rest a minimum of 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before rolling the dough.