We know Chanukah is all about the olive oil, but that doesn’t mean you need to slave over a hot frying pan all night. Make a rustic, giant latke in the oven, throw on some greens and eggs and your Chanukah dinner is served.
If some of your family doesn’t like greens, just serve them raw or sauteed on the side.
Sheet Pan Sweet Potato Latkes with Eggs and Greens
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes skin on (about 4 large), grated
- 1 onion sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 bunch greens, kale, chard, escarole, or spinach
- 1 lemon
- 8 eggs
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Garnish: chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place grated sweet potatoes in a large bowl with salt and pepper. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Squeeze sweet potatoes out in towel to remove all the excess moisture.
- Lay sweet potatoes out in a single layer on the sheet pan with onion. Drizzle over half the olive oil.
- Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes until edges are brown.
- Meanwhile mix the greens with the other half of olive oil, lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from oven, create 8 wells for the eggs.
- Pour each whole egg into the well. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Place pan in oven and roast until egg whites have set, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with chopped chives as garnish and a side of greens.