Most recipes for split pea soup only cook for about 30 minutes, but it really is not enough. Really good rich and flavorful pea soup should cook low and slow until it gets nice and thick. That’s why it is the ultimate slow cooker dinner.
For some added texture and vitamins we add some mini broccoli florets just before serving.
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups dried split green peas picked over and rinsed
- 5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup mini broccoli florets
- 1 whole grain baguette for dunking
- Preheat slow cooker on low.
- Place evoo, onions, carrots, paprika, salt, bay leaves, split peas and broth in the slow cooker. Stir and set on low for 7-8 hours.
- Just before serving fish out bay leaves, add broccoli and stir.
- Serve soup with baguette or homemade croutons.
Jewish Deli Slaw
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage from around 1 small head cabbage
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated
- 1 large stalk celery cut into thin slices
- In a large bowl whisk vinegar, mustard, evoo and honey, Add cabbage, carrots and celery. Toss well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.