We love using cinnamon in savory foods. Not only is the flavor fantastic, but cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and has also been shown to improve blood sugar levels.
This recipe is available free to everyone brought to you by Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a taste of our Fresh Families Meal plan.
SPICE-RUBBED GRILLED CHICKEN
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 chicken legs with thighs with skin
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil such as colavita
- 1. Heat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk together onion powder, salt, thyme, allspice, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
- 3. In a large bowl, coat chicken with oil.
- 4. Rub spices onto each piece of chicken.
- 5. Grill chicken, 12 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- 6. Serve chicken topped with Fruit Salsa
- 1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mango
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries rinsed and dried
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped seeded watermelon
- 1 1/2 medium red onions coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 jalapeños seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 medium tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1. Combine mango, blueberries, watermelon, onions, jalapeños, tomatoes, cilantro,salt, and lime juice together in a large bowl.
- 2. Serve over Spice-Rubbed Grilled Chicken.