Your one pot baked ziti recipe with spinach is the perfect make ahead quick dinner. In order to use a whole box of pasta it does serve 6, but leftovers are perfect lunches.
You can of course go the old fashioned way of boiling the pasta, mixing it with all the other ingredients and baking it, but we cooked it all on the stove, no straining and just finished it off in the same pot in the oven. It’s perfect.
This recipe is available free to everyone brought to you by Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a taste of our Fresh Families Meal plan.
Spinach Baked Ziti
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- red pepper flakes optional
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta ziti or penne rigate
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 8-ounces shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Add olive oil to a deep, 12-inch or larger oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, saute 1 minute, add spinach, saute 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper and crushed red pepper if using. Add tomatoes, basil, and oregano and stir well. Reduce heat simmer 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and dry pasta, bring to a boil, cover reduce heat to a low boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Stir in ricotta and parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly on top.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes until hot and bubbly.