Poblanos are those extra dark long green peppers, they are considered a mild chili pepper often served stuffed with cheese. Here I stuff them with beans and butternut squash, making them vegan and parve for an anytime meal or side.
This recipe is available free to everyone brought to you by Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a taste of our Fresh Families Meal plan.
If you don’t feel like baking, just serve a nice fruit salad with these peppers.
- 6 large poblano peppers 4 halved lengthwise, 2 finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil such as Colavita
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash finely chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ cup diced tomatoes, undrained
- Garnish: ¼ cup torn fresh cilantro leaves, toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place three halved peppers in a 9- x 13-inch baking pan and pour boiling water over them, enough to cover. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Heat evoo in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, finely chopped pepper, squash, black beans, cumin and chipotle powder. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and lightly mashing the beans. Add tomatoes and continue cooking and mashing the mixture together. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Drain peppers and fill them with the vegetable stuffing. Place stuffed peppers back in the baking pan. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve alongside brown rice and topped with cilantro.
Quick Corn Muffins
- 1 1/3 cups low fat milk or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 8 muffin cups, or use an an 8- x8-inch baking pan, pie dish or 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Combine ingredients in the order listed in your blender.
- Blend on low speed for 60 seconds or until the batter is smooth.
- Pour into greased baking dish.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.