Tacos are fun for the whole family. Season your filling with modern and healthy ingredients. Most taco seasonings have way too much salt and some have chemicals (we’re talking to you taco spice envelope).
We like a good quality chili powder (with just cumin and dried chiles) or chipotle powder (ground and dried smoked chiles-YUM!)
Be sure to have plenty of garnishes for everyone to customize their tacos. Kids and adults like to get in there and play with condiments. Feel free to leave out the peppers if your kids don’t like them.
Taco Tuesday (or anyday)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder or chipotle chile powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 1 whole tomatoes chopped with a squeeze of lime juice and a dash of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage mixed with 1 tablespoon olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn thawed and drained and mixed with 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed with chopped cilantro and fresh lime juice
- limes wedges
- Heat a large saute pan, lightly coated with evoo, over medium high heat. Saute onion and pepper until medium brown and very soft about 6 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for just a minute.
- Decrease the heat to medium and add chicken or turkey. Continue cooking until meat is beginning to cook through, about 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, tomato paste and water. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until meat is cooked through and thick and saucy. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Toast tortillas over open flame for 10 seconds on each side. Wrap in foil to keep warm.
- Serve tacos and let everyone make their own with ground chicken mixture as the base and optional toppings as desired.