Yes you can turn any failed veggie burger into a sloppy joe, but you can also set out to make them and they might just be your new favorite way to make a sloppy joe. You can’t beat the nutritional value in these guys loaded with fiber and vitamins.
Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 cup cooked quinoa any color
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon date honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Garnis: pickles red onion
- In a large saute pan, saute onion in evoo over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, celery, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add lentils and quinoa to saute pan. Cook, stirring and mixing until hot.
- Stir in tomato paste, vinegar, date honey and chili powder and ½ cup water. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes, add more water if needed to prevent sticking and burning.
- Season the mixture with more salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon onto buns, and serve immediately with pickled vegetables or raw veggie sticks.