We are really loving breakfast for dinner, aren’t you?
Between Frittatas, Shakshuka, and of course Waffles you can’t do much better. We started by making these waffles with kale for a more savory breakfast. Now you can add fried eggs or grilled salmon and even extra kale for a simple dinner.
2 waffles with 2 eggs would make a satisfying dinner.
Kale Ricotta Waffles/Pancakes
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 cups low fat milk or almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ½ cups kale chopped
- Garnish: 1 teaspoon silan or maple syrup or honey and pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Make a well in the center and add ricotta, milk, eggs, and butter. Mix the wet ingredients and then incorporate the dry ingredients. Add the kale and mix again.
- Heat a waffle iron or griddle for pancakes (use a bit of oil if it is not non stick) and measure out ½ cup batter per portion. Cook until golden brown, flipping halfway through for pancakes.
- Serve drizzled with silan and sprinkled with cayenne.