Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Green Spinach Shakshuka
Servings 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 pound frozen chopped spinach thawed or 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped, sauteed and drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 large eggs
- 1 lemon
- 4 whole wheat pitas or matzo
- Garnish: roughly chopped fresh cilantro, red pepper flakes, ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
Heat evoo in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions with jalapeno cumin, coriander, salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Add the spinach and cilantro and stir until well mixed. Taste and adjust seasoning. Make 8 wells with a spoon. Gently crack eggs into wells. Cover the skillet and cook until whites are set and yolks are the way you like them, between 3 and 5 minutes.
Remove pan from heat, garnish with desired toppings, we recommend a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of feta and eat with fresh hot pita, over rice, or a baked potato.
Calories: 410kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 330mg | Sodium: 840mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g