This casserole is basically a carb free pizza that you can really top with all your favorite pizza toppings. We used sauteed mushrooms, but you can add olives, sun-dried tomatoes, more sauteed veggies, like peppers and spinach, artichokes, and even eggplant.
It’s easy to make ahead, it even can be frozen, but it likely won’t last long enough.
Zucchini Pizza Casserole
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini from about 2 large zucchini
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (15-ounce) jar Italian tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch casserole with 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil.
- Place zucchini in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand 10 minutes, then squeeze out all moisture.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini with eggs, Parmesan and half of mozzarella. Press into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan with evoo, saute onions, mushrooms and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread tomato sauce over zucchini crust, top with mushrooms and cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 20 minutes more.